Gold Medal Apps for the 2012 Olympics
The 2012 Olympics' connectedness will establish a tome for future games. In our app-loving world, designers are imitating athletes by competing for most useful Olympics app. Which app will take home the gold? Only time can tell, but we know which apps are forerunners. Learn more about the functionality of each, below, and judge a winner.
Event Management Apps
1) Covering the games on this side of the pond is NBC. Naturally they engineered multiple ways to keep you connected to the events in London. With their free Olympic app, receive live updates, news, schedules, results, medal counts, photos, and video. Additionally, interact with others via social media platforms - all from your phone or tablet.
2) Join In developed an iPad optimized app that provides the standard updates, calendars, medals, etc. plus a customizable experience. Follow specific countries, track the Olympic Torch route, and discover cultural, community and other celebrations happening around London. Also available for Android and Blackberry.
3) Want official results on your mobile device? What better app to chose than the London 2012: Official Results app? View up-to-date lists of athletes competing in the games, their bios, and personal performances. Find and track athletes easily by sport or country.
4) BBC Olympics parades its national pride with an efficient app. Create a customizable tab bar to easily follow your favorite sports. Enjoy live video of the sports and medal-winning highlights. Learn more here.
1. Reuter's Olympic London- Free, fantastic photography of the games, often equipped with infographics. This app continually updates with new photos. Great for iPad users.
2. Curly's Guide to Sports- You source for sports' enlightenment. Want to learn abou the history, rules, and trivia of a sport? Don't disturb friends, download this app! It's artfully designed, so artists, atheletes, and those in between will enjoy this very handy program.
3. Yelp Mobile- If you have never used Yelp before, you will wonder where it has been all your life once you do. For those of you lucky enough to go to London for the games, download Yelp Mobile before you depart. Yelp is a reliable guide to all venues a city has to offer. Users rate restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. and post suprisingly good critiques and photos. It's an app you will use now and after the games.